Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children's Fund
City: Addis Ababa
Office: UNICEF Addis Ababa
WASH Specialist, P-3, Addis Ababa,Ethiopia ( Open for Non Ethiopian Nationals)
Apply now Job no: 499885
Work type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The incumbent supports UNHCR, ARRA and NGO humanitarian partners to establish basic WASH services for refugees in camps and host communities in Ethiopia.
Specific Tasks: In Coordination with UNHCR and working closely with ARRA, Regional Water and Health Bureaus and designated NGOs, the post holder will:
- Coordinate and lead the feasibility study, design and implementation of works for host community/refugee projects in all the 5 project areas involving all relevant stakeholders (UNHCR, ARRA, RWB, RHB, Woreda Officials NGO's and communities)
- Provide effective leadership in contract management (Tendering, award, supervision, etc) for all works to be undertaken.
- Working in collaboration with UNHCR/ARRA/Regional Authorities and NGO partners, support WASH coordination structures / Emergency Task Force in the respective regions, focusing on WASH interventions in camps and in the host communities around the camps.
- Participate in other relevant emergency coordination meetings relating to WASH Emergencies.
- Work in close collaboration with the UNICEF team and implementing partners involved in hygiene promotion and behavioral change activities including development of relevant IEC materials
- Provide regular updates to the respective UNICEF field Offices and WASH Section in Addis Ababa detailing the current situation, status of activities, and the status of UNICEF supported interventions
- Provide additional technical support to UNHCR, ARRA and NGOs as requested through the UNICEF Field Unit in the respective regions especially in compiling weekly progress updates and convening of coordination meetings as required.
- Provide technical inputs to supply related items and following up on the procurement through coordination with relevant partners within the UNICEF Regional Office in Gambella and Addis on a timely and efficient manner
- Participate in the development of appropriate Water, sanitation and hygiene strategy and response plans and support immediate actions relating to plans for refugee and hosting populations;
- Work with UNHCR in conducting technical WASH assessments and designing appropriate interventions of potential new sites for refugee camps .
- Support UNHCR in ensuring minimum levels of service quality is enforces in accordance to UNHCR WASH guidelines
- Weekly reports including summary of progress made against activities set out in work plan, identification of key challenges, bottlenecks, and recommended actions to be taken are prepared and submitted to UNHCR and UNICEF.
- Collaborate with UNHCR WASH focal person in organizing and leading the Monthly WASH task force meeting at regional level;
- Participation in Camp WASH Coordination meetings and follow up actions taken to conclusion
- Preparation of quality and timely donor reports
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector. Field work experience.
- Background/familiarity with emergency operations and staff security.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with people
- Drive for results
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Applying Technical Expertise
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes.
- Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: communication for behavior change, WASH in schools, water supply projects management, monitoring and evaluation; integrated water resource management appropriate water supply and quality technology i.e. community based water supply.
Common Technical Knowledge Required
Knowledge of the latest theories, technology and practices in:
- Community based sanitation i.e.: hygiene education or latrine construction and waste management.
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for sectoral programmes
- Knowledge of global human rights and gender issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF position and approaches.
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address WASH issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, recovery, disaster risk reduction and environment.
- UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
- Mid-Term Strategic Plan
- UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers and agency-wide programmes impacting on WASH results.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of corporate office computer system applications and software, including LAN, email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, telecommunications.
- Knowledge of global environmental issues that pertain to sustainable development and specifically relation to children and woman, and the current UNICEF position approaches.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- Government development plans and policies
- Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses, including the IASC Cluster approach.
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
- UN security operations and guidelines.
- UNICEF policies, strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.