JOB from Norwegian Refugee Council
Closing date: 30 Oct 2016
Career categories: Program/Project Management
Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Theme: Water Sanitation Hygiene
Job years of experience: 5-10 years
Job type: Job
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its programme. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations. The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and South & Central), Kenya, Ethiopia Yemen, Djibouti and South Sudan.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for coordination of the WASH projects within the South and Central Somalia
- Coordinate and implement the WASH projects according to strategy, proposals and plans
- Assist the Project Manager in writing project proposals, concept notes and donor reports
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Develop annual activity and work plans
- Training and development of WASH CC staff
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Cooperate with relevant partners and local authorities
- Organize training's for the WASH CC team, relevant partners and beneficiaries
- Monthly activity/project reports and other reporting as required
- Ensure proper filing of all project documents
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and implement NRC WASH activities (Public Health Engineering and Public Health Promotion) in the South and Central Somalia.
- Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation considers needs and vulnerabilities in South and Central Somalia.
- Ensure that WASH programme design is informed by and integrated with NRC’s other priority sectors of Protection, Food Security and Livelihoods, Education and Shelter.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and represent organization at Inter-agency Coordination meetings.
- Contribute to learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH through case studies and documentation. (2 case studies per year as the minimum).
- Degree in Water Engineering, Public Health, Civil Engineering, Environmental Health, Hydrology or Geology
- 5-years’ experience from working as a WASH Project Coordinator or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware)
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Proven and documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the operating context in South and Central Somalia
- Knowledge of the local language (Somali) – if different than English
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in performance management of staff
- Behavioral competencies these are personal qualities or characteristics that influence how successful people are in their job. The below are required for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract Duration: 1 year with posibility of extenssion
- Duty Station: Mogadishu
- Salary/Benefits: According to NRC's general directions.
- The candidate is to observe NRC's four core values dedication, innovation, inclusivity, accountability and the Code of Conduct for all staff
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Candidates can apply online by following the below link: Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Source: Relief Web
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.