Business Unit: Country Programs Complex
Division: Not Applicable
Department: Economic & Social Infrastructure
Contract type: Conditional Regular (Indefinite) Employment
Country: Saudi Arabia
Location: Saudi Arabia - Jeddah
Closing date: 11-Aug-2019
Role Purpose: To support the department in advising management and staff on strategy and long-range interventions on portfolio, policy, operations and strategic partnerships. To support in conceiving, developing and promoting innovations in Bank Policy, operational procedures, project/program design in organization and management of operations in Urban Development in IsDB member countries. To provide support in formulating advisory and technical guidance in matters related to Urban Development. Contributes and facilities in building, collaborating, engaging with and nurturing a network of developers to ensure that IsDB follows best practices in project management and in development of sector policy and related strategies.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES: Strategic & Operational Planning
- Contribute to the preparation of key strategy papers, new programs and knowledge product development to ensure the unit is contributing to the overall goal of the bank.
- Undertake the analytical/economic and sector work (ESW) as well as sector dialogue during Member Country Partnership Strategy (MCPS) and programming missions.
- Provide technical input for the development, review and monitoring of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the Urban Development Sector team and Core Sector Indicators (CSI) in IsDB financed projects in Member Countries to ensure the highest level of efficiency is achieved.
- Contribute to mainstreaming Sustainable Development Goals in IsDB Urban Development projects.
- Provide technical expertise to the Urban Development team on all strategic matters.
Policies, Processes and Procedures
- Contribute technically to the design, review and implementation of the IsDB's policies, procedures and guidelines relating to the urban development sector interventions to ensure alignment with local and industry standards.
- Ensure compliance with IsDB's policies and guidelines to ensure quality in the operational work of urban development sector as well as maintaining good working relationships with various clients.
Sector Portfolio Management
- Contribute to the quality review and improvement throughout project lifecycle of IsDB financed projects to ensure all projects abide by the high-quality standards demanded by the Bank.
- Act as a project or program team member as requested throughout the project lifecycle.
- Undertake sector work in relation to ensure the inclusion of international best practices.
- Stay abreast of overall sector portfolio in order to ensure its successful implementation or advise on corrective measures if necessary.
- Participate in Urban Development Sector Portfolio Performance Review (SPPR) and Country Portfolio Performance Review (CPPR).
- Participate in Quality Assurance and review Meetings and provide review and advise on technical matters
- Carries out responsibilities for a variety of operational tasks (e.g. participating as a full member of a multi-disciplinary team) and undertaking assignments of Member Country Partnership Strategy and for quality assurance in project preparation, appraisal and supervision as well as ESW in Urban Development.
- Provides inputs to and prepares diverse operational and sector products/outputs e.g. sector and country briefings, background reports, case studies, policy note, ESW, portfolio performance reviews, and Project Completion Reports (PCR).
- Participate in missions in area of specialization in order to contribute to design of complex operations.
- Collaborate with the Regional Hubs and OQR to track results and lessons achieved in Urban Development Sector.
- Participation in program/project reviews and evaluation exercises.
- Oversee the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards.
Knowledge Sharing & Innovation
- Contribute to building capacity of Urban Development specialists across the Bank
- Contribute to IsDB knowledge repository by documenting best practices and lessons learned.
- Share knowledge as subject matter expert related to sector issues to enhance a knowledge sharing culture across the Bank that would allow it to create more value.
- Collaborate with other pillars/sectoral teams to ensure dissemination of tailored knowledge and expertise to support project implementation, ensuring that cross-cutting issues such as capacity development, women's empowerment, and social/environmental issues related to Urban Development are adequately addressed.
- Share key knowledge and learning outcomes with the Knowledge Management and Institutional Learning Unit in areas related to the sector.
- Participate and contribute in regional and international events/forums on Urban Development to stay abreast with the latest development in the sector.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Academic qualifications
- Masters degree in urban development, engineering, economics social development studies or related field.
- English (mandatory).
- French (preferred).
- Arabic (preferred).
Minimum number of years and nature of experience
- 7-9 years experience in Urban Planning sector, 3 of which in international financing institutions.
- Experience in Urban Planning or related fields.
Job specific competencies
- Knowledge of urban planning trends in MCs and NMCs.
- Knowledge in conceptualizing and managing urban projects/programs.
- Project management
- Analytical (sector analysis, diagnosis studies and country context analysis)
- Result development management
- Team leader
Travel requirements: 20% or more depending on requirements
Location: Jeddah, Head Office
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.