Closing date: 15 Nov 2016
Career categories: Program/Project Management
Organization: International Organization for Migration
Theme: Shelter and Non-Food Items
Job years of experience: 5-10 years
Position Title : Programme Officer (Shelter and Settlement)
Duty Station : Erbil, Iraq
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 15 November 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Shelter and Settlement Programme Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation and management of the Shelter and Settlement Projects. IOM Iraq is one of the largest operational shelter partners in the country and interventions involves distribution of emergency shelter, upgrade of temporary shelters, construction of common facilities for camps and emergency sites, and establishment of emergency camps.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Fine-tune implementation plans through development of detailed work plans with budgets and clarifying monitoring and evaluation plans accordingly.
Ensure clear demarcation of activity implementation and budget management among relevant departments and units.
Coordinate execution of planned activities in Iraq with relevant units and project staff: provide technical guidance to the relevant activity components.
Provide technical oversight and quality control by identifying implementation mechanisms and approaches that are feasible, appropriate and effective in the context of Iraq for the shelter activities.
Ensure timeliness and efficiency by regular and periodical monitoring of progress and budget utilization throughout implementation of the project activities; advise the management on corrective measures if necessary.
Lead periodical communication with the donor, clarifying plans and implementation status of the project, and ensure timely preparations and submission of quality donor reports.
In coordination with relevant units and in line with the regulations and policy of IOM, lead human resource, financial and procurement management for the project.
In coordination with the PD/ME Unit, supervise monitoring and evaluation systems which enable the production of real time reports on the effectiveness and efficiency of projects.
Draft donor reports and other information materials by compiling inputs from field technical teams. Provide support to the Shelter and Settlement management in drafting a technical strategy of the Programme.
Conduct regular field visits to assigned sites (beneficiary locations) to support the implementation of shelter and settlement programme activities efficiently, effectively and with flexibility.
Maintain oversight over project deadlines, financial and narrative reporting requirements in accordance with IOM Rules and Regulations and needs at the satellite office.
Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children and other vulnerable groups in the shelter and settlement programme.
Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and other duties of concern to the project.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Urban Planning or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Strong combination of training and experience in field of operations, and solid experience of working in complex environments;
• Understanding of market based interventions in shelter response;
• Extensive operational and field experience in shelter programme development, implementation and evaluation;
• Experience in conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment;
• Familiarity with project management and IOM administrative and financial management;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions;
• Broad sector knowledge and/or field experience in the areas of re-construction and community mobilization;
• Previous programme management experience; shelter and displacement management programme experience preferred;
• Familiarity with the region an asset;
• Excellent leadership, coordination and information management skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic, Kurdish and other local language is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 November 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 02.11.2016 to 15.11.2016
Requisition: SVN 2016/119 (P) - Programme Officer (Shelter and Settlement) (P3) - Erbil, Iraq (54891468) Released
Posting: Posting NC54891469 (54891469) Released
Source: Relief Web
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.