Education & Work Experience: I-Master's Level Degree - 6 year(s) experience
Service Contract (SC)
Europe & the CIS
Initial 12-month contract with possibility for extension
As this position is under Service Contract modality, only applicants with Montenegrin nationality or valid working permit in Montenegro will be considered for the vacancy.
UNDP mission in Montenegro is to promote sustainable development, which is economically viable, socially inclusive and environmentally friendly.
UNDP is currently implementing the following projects under the Sustainable Urban Development Program: Beautiful Montenegro, Project on Strengthening the Cultural Heritage Management System in the Country and project related to reconstruction of Airports of Montenegro.
The project 'Beautiful Montenegro' deals with economic revitalization of the Old Royal Capital Cetinje through urban reconstruction of the cultural heritage with energy efficient considerations, provision of vocational trainings, support to small businesses and encouragement of green design ideas and innovations in the overall urban development.
The project 'Strengthening the Cultural Heritage Management System' deals with the economic revitalization of cultural heritage in Montenegro. The project aims to enhance the entire management system relating to the protection of cultural heritage.
The project for reconstruction of the Airports of Montenegro will be the great example for future economic development while introducing the energy efficiency measures through reconstructions of the terminal buildings of airports and their preparation for the carbon certification and for the development of the energy management system. These activities contribute to further enhancement of the sustainable transport and sustainable tourism development in the country.
The Programme Manager will be based in UNDP Country Office in Montenegro. Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader for Democratic Governance and Economy and Environment, the incumbent will be responsible for overall programme implementation through managing day-to-day programme activities, and for ensuring efficient delivery of envisaged programme outputs.
Duties and Responsibilities The Programme Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the programme is efficiently managed to fulfil its mission and objectives as set out in the project documents and in accordance with the UNDP standards and best practices. Under direct supervision of Team Leader for Democratic Governance and Economy and Environment, the main task of the Programme Manager will be to ensure overall implementation/delivery of different aspects of the following projects:
- Project ‘Beautiful Montenegro';
- Project ‘Strengthening the Cultural Heritage Management System in the Montenegro', and
- Project ‘Reconstruction of the Airports of Montenegro'.
I Management of the projects and implementation of activities:
- Prepare programme implementation plans; organize projects teams and assign tasks, monitor progress and motivate staff;
- In cooperation with DG and EE Team Leader, initiate new projects within a programme, present new projects to LPAC, finalize contribution agreements; determine required revisions; closure of projects and reporting;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the programme, identification of management, operational and financial challenges, development of solutions;
- Report to Steering Committees on programme progress; advice on potential adjustment of actions and procedures in implementation and considering changing requirements/needs;
- Manage all administrative, budgetary, technical and programmatic aspects of the Programme;
- Manage implementation of procurement and recruitment related activities in accordance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies; Ensure that procurement of goods and services under the projects' is undertaken in an optimal quality manner;
- Lead and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of the work plan/activities;
- Regularly monitor progress against the approved work-plan; identify changes in the external environment and promptly agree necessary solutions/actions with UNDP Office and the Project Boards;
- Provide leadership and advisory guidance to the project team, contractors, and implementing partners, on the discharge of duties and responsibilities with the overarching aim of reaching project objectives on time and as per the budget;
- Assume managerial responsibility for project staff, including development and communication of roles and responsibilities, definition of reporting arrangements, and oversight of implementation of respective team work plans;
- Develop and implement the Communications and Visibility plan in cooperation with UNDP Communications staff.
II Supervise delivery of inputs provided by the Project teams:
- Ensure that work plans are prepared and updated on time and reflect agreed objectives and outputs; monitor data and implementation progress;
- Manage procurement of goods and services and recruitment of consultants under the programme, and ensure on-time delivery to recipient institutions;
- Organization of trainings for projects teams; ensure professional growth of projects staff through active learning;
- Ensure quality and timeliness of reporting and data production;
- Ensure that work plans are prepared and updated on time and reflect projects' objectives and outputs;
- Monitor implementation progress and ensure quality and timely reporting to projects' partners;
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of complete accounting records of all projects' activities (budget, commitments, expenditures, income); ensure proper follow up in relation to projects' expenditures, approval, and financial reporting;
- Provide necessary back-up support to consultants in connection with the projects' outputs;
- Be responsible for all assets purchased and used under the projects;
- Hold primary responsibility for managing the resources being spent i.e. approve requisitions in Atlas and certify/confirm receipt of goods and services.
III Coordination and liaising with partners/stakeholders:
- Ensure full compliance with all UN/UNDP reporting guidelines, and respect all reporting deadlines;
- Update the Government focal point on project implementation;
- Create and maintain partnerships with institutional counterparts, stakeholders, and parties with vested interest in project target areas;
- Work closely with the project partners and support the partnerships and advocacy activities in the area/sector covered by the project.
IV Ensure implementation of knowledge management activities:
- Regular exchange of information/experience with other projects, cross-learning and sharing results and good practices;
- Ensure the project has the required communication package and preparation, upon request of the UNDP office, of information materials for dissemination within UNDP globally and regionally, and to external stakeholders;
- Capture lessons learnt during project implementation – a lessons learnt log can be used in this regard;
- Participation in regular internal meetings; Participation in training events, communities of practice, codifying and sharing knowledge.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas related to governance, acts on learning plan and applied newly acquired skills; Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manages contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis and reporting;
- Ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly and concisely, to work both independently and in teams, to demonstrate self-confidence combined with sensitivity to gender and culture;
- Strong knowledge of and application skills in result-based management.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills Strong resource mobilization, communication and advocacy skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or Spatial planning, or other relevant fields is required.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience related to energy efficiency, urban planning and/or sustainable transport in an international organization, government institution, or an NGO;
- A proven capacity in designing and guiding programme activities, related with urban planning, sustainable transport, energy efficiency and/or cultural heritage protection;
- A proven experience in managing donor funded projects;
- A proven professional experience in managing of the projects which entailed construction works for the cultural and historical buildings and public spaces;
- Strong conceptual and practical skills in community empowerment, participatory planning, institutional and policy reform, and other related fields.
- Fluency in English and local language.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office package, Internet).
Languages - Essential: English, Montenegrin
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.