Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Individual Consultant - Urban and Regional Planning and Development Specialist - For Indian Nationals Only
Location : Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, INDIA
Application Deadline : 30-Oct-16 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15-Nov-2016
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year (with possibility of extension on availability of funds and extension of project)
Dharamshala has been selected in the Smart City Mission (SCM) of the Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD), Government of India. The city has identified various projects and interventions that will help it transform itself into a smart city. These projects and interventions have been identified based on extensive consultation with citizens using community outreach programmes, social media and other similar mechanisms.
A Special Purpose Vehicle called Dharamshala Smart City Limited (DSCL) has been established to 'plan, appraise, approve, release funds, implement, manage, operate, monitor, and evaluate the Smart city development projects and enter into contracts, partnerships and service delivery arrangements as may be required'. DSCL will implement two types of projects: Area Based Development (ABD) projects to transform contiguous areas of the city through comprehensive renewal of the built environment and public amenities; and pan-city solutions that use advanced information and communication technology (ICT)—intelligent transportation systems, safety and security systems, water and waste management systems, etc—to improve the lives of all city residents.
Dharamshala Smart City Limited (DSCL) has sought UNDP's support in conceptualizing a management structure and establishing a Core Management Team of DSCL. Under this, a set of core professional positions have been identified to oversee the planning, design, implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of the projects proposed under the Smart City Proposal submitted by Dharamshala. As per this UNDP is in the process facilitating the process and would like to invite applications for the post of Urban and Regional Planning and Development Specialist.
The Urban and Regional Planning and Development Specialist will be based at Municipal Headquarters, Dharamshala and under the overall supervision of the Commissioner (DMC) & MD Cum CEO, Dharamshala Smart City Ltd, he/she would carry out the following tasks
- Lead and be accountable for all urban and regional planning aspects within the projects identified under the Dharamshala Smart City project;
- Review the City Master Plan and provide inputs to revise it in accordance with the mandatory conditions under the Mission;
- Provide inputs to the planning processes for infrastrcuture planning, landscape planning, urban design analysis, urban design improvement, retrofitting related improvements, urban planning, area based development projects, smart solutions projects, environment planning, regional development planning, and over all urban planning eco system;
- Work closely with other planners and specialists including disaster management specialists towards atainment of smart city mission objectives;
- Any other tasks, as assigned by the supervisor.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Should have acknowledged capabilities in partnership management;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills;
- Ability to handle large scale planning & MIS;
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the city;
- Acquires and applies new skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Positive, constructive attitude to work;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters in a field relevant to urban development, such as (but not limited to) urban and regional planning, urban design, architecture, spatial planning, urban development, civil engineering, infrastructure planning, economics, public policy or related fields.
- 10 years of experience in the above mentioned fields and extensive experience in the field of urban and regional planning, master planning, city, town and area based planning and development;
- Must have knowledge and prior experience in implementation of urban development strategy, policy, solutions, and in dealing with institutions of urban development, planning.
- Fluency of Hindi & English language is required.
Duration of the Work:
- The contract will be awarded for one year. Working days will be as per the State Government policy.
- Travel within the district or state would be required.
Schedule of Payments:
- Consolidated Annual Consultancy Fee (Remuneration) of Rs. 24,00,000/- payable in equal monthly instalments, upon submission of monthly progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
Evaluation Method and Criteria: Shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 30% Marks;
- Relevant Experience 50% Marks;
- Suitability for the assignment 20% Marks.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be called for an interview. The interviews will be conducted either in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh or in New Delhi and will be based on the competencies (skills) required as per the ToR. The contract shall be awarded on a merit basis. If face-to-face interviews are conducted, travel costs will be borne by the shortlisted candidate.
For any clarifications, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.