Home based with availability to Travel
Housing Policy Expert, Consultant
01 February 2018 – 31 July 2018
31 Jan 2018
The New Urban Agenda acknowledges that housing finance is a pre-requisite for sustainable and inclusive cities and needs to be promoted as a strategic area of intervention to guarantee the progressive realization of the right to adequate housing.
In May 2017, the Governing Council of UN-Habitat has encouraged Member States to undertake further housing sector reforms with a focus on addressing housing affordability issues in support to the implementation of the New Urban Agenda (NUA) and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
UN-Habitat advocates that improved access to finance is a paramount condition for the progressive realization of the right to adequate housing and a future of sustainable and inclusive cities. While assisting countries and cities in the elaboration of housing policies, strategies and programmes UN-Habitat has promoted more inclusive finance through (a) encouraging pro‐poor performance of the markets, (b) facilitating and supporting demand capabilities of economically weakest sectors of the society; and (c) promoting a variety of housing finance solutions innovations matching the different demands.
RESPONSIBILITES and DELIVERABLES
For current and upcoming projects in housing finance, UN-Habitat Housing Unit is looking for experts with experience in developed and developing countries. The consultant will provide finance expertise to the work of UN-Habitat in housing development and support the formulation of normative and operational projects. Specific objectives of the consultancy include:
- Assist in the strengthening of the overall housing finance portfolio of UN-Habitat and in the development of affordable housing projects, in particular through:
- Reviewing current practices, trends and innovations, and other research activities and studies in housing finance
- Organize and prepare written outputs, providing backstopping to workshops, conferences and training
- Providing finance technical support to the design of housing projects
- Provide quality financial technical expertise to normative and operational projects as well as to the formulation and implementation of housing policies to national and local governments, in particular through:
- Conducting housing finance assessments, analyzing and identifying data requirements and producing scenario analyses
- Building forecasts and assisting in the development of financial models in support to the implementation of housing policies, strategies and projects
- Supporting the elaboration of policy recommendations and implementation strategies and prepare forecast for improved access to housing finance (to national and local governments)
- Expert knowledge of finance, preferably also in the field of housing finance and housing market dynamics (knowledge of different housing finance products, mortgage loan products and financing methodology, i.e. savings linked loan products, securitization etc.);
- Excellent Excel skills and financial modelling skills, capacity to create financial and investment models, forecasts and scenarios.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear and accurate manner.
- Proven research and conceptualization skills;
- Project management skills;
- Problem solving ability – (understanding of how financial modelling can help to solve and mitigate problems and support decision making).
- Knowledge of concepts and approaches relevant to policy development (preferably in the field housing, land and infrastructure).
- Adaptability, flexibility and ability to think “outside the box”, and offer new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- University degree in economics, finance, public policy or relevant to development and management of housing finance.
- At least 5 years of experience in financial services in developing and emerging countries. Proven experience in financial modelling, preferably in the field of housing and human settlements development projects.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the consultancy advertised, excellent proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
Remuneration will be defined per experience of the candidate
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
1. Educational Background (incl. dates)
2. Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
3. Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
4. Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
5. Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline for applications: 31 January 2018
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.