The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The PMER Unit Manager is responsible for performance-based management systems, including monitoring of business functions and technical support to monitor humanitarian and development impact. Furthermore, she/he will ensure the overall quality and effectiveness of the planning, evaluation and reporting systems in the region. The post holder is therefore accountable for:
- To lead the production and monitor the delivery of regional annual and long-term plans, working with the executive team and managers to co-ordinate all inputs and ensure a cohesive and consistent approach which enables the delivery of strategic and annual
- To develop a suite of tools, schedules and standard operating procedures for the organisation to monitor performance and produce analytical tools to assessment performance and to facilitate decision making to improve performance in a proactive manner
- To create, training and on-board project managers to monitor project activity and indicators to support project management and demonstrate accountability for results.
- To develop and maintain arrangements for meaningful performance management reporting to enable effective oversight of delivery against regional plans.
- Support senior managers in identifying and mitigating actions where the plan is not met to manage subsequent risks to the
- Ensure regional plans are owned by all teams and remains the focus for planning and action and is evaluated accordingly.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Design and maintain performance-based management systems, including
- Review of the current corporate strategic objectives, strategies to assess effectiveness of the existing performance management
- Provide recommendations to improve the performance management
- Asses KPI for business function and program for automation of data collection and
- Propose KPIs, ensure baseline data and annual targets where
- Develop dashboard to support assessment and learning around progress toward KPIs for the executive team to track and to inform decision.
Maintain and improve current PMER systems and practices to ensure a quality results-based system for planning, learning and accountability
- Coordinate the annual planning and appeals process in the region to ensure compliance and alignment with IFRC standards in plans and appeals, well written and presented information, and provide input and advice to improve coherence and
- Ensure and support the development of project/programme logical frameworks according to IFRC guidelines with SMART indicators that are aligned with the IFRC Plan and Budget and program area
- Advise task forces on emergency appeals / DREFs (participate in task forces), oversee the timely development of emergency appeals and ensure the establishment of clear emergency plans of action with indicators and monitoring and evaluation
Ensure sure monitoring and reporting of progress in accordance with common indicators and quality standards
- Lead monitoring and reporting efforts in the regional office to comply with deadlines, partner expectations and IFRC
- Assure quality control and final editing of all appeal-based documents and reports, ensuring sound monitoring and evaluation practice are accurate, clear and
- Support the development and onboarding of project managers for monitoring and evaluation plans for all major IFRC programmes, that define indicators, data sources, data collection methods, frequency, and audience.
- Support the development of plans to evaluate impact of programs, provide technical guidance to National Societies, country and cluster offices, lead evaluations related to large secretariat programs and promote learning and application of lessons from evaluations.
- Ensure and support the implementation of the Federation-Wide Reporting System within the region.
Support enhanced capacity for PMER within the region
- Maintain an overview of trends concerning planning, monitoring and evaluation Identify partnerships that can enhance programmatic success, particularly through consultation and joint action around PMER.
- Support recruitment, development and evaluation of a sustainable network of technical officers across the region, in both delegations and National
- Enhance corporate learning and capacity by providing regular feedback on performance, technical advice on organizational development and planning, monitoring and evaluation and opportunities for continuous
- Provide technical advice and capacity-building support to National Societies and IFRC offices on the development and implementation of monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems, including the Federation-Wide Reporting
Support relevant networks and knowledge sharing processes
- Provide input to the development of global quality standards and tools in the areas of planning, monitoring and evaluation and accountability, ensuring that the outcomes of reviews and evaluations are incorporated into policy
- Introduce and/or maintain appropriate PMER forums among IFRC and its stakeholders, both partners and beneficiaries, to discuss and support quality programming and accountability standards.
- Support the sharing of findings and lessons learned from program M&E to improve overall organizational learning, especially the selection of future program interventions, as well as design and implementation. This includes liaison with external organizations to identify and disseminate good M&E practices in M&E and contribute to knowledge
- Disseminate IFRC policies, strategies, guidelines and procedures and, monitor adherence to them in the region, in particular the Evaluation Policy and the Federation-Wide Reporting
- Ensure efficient and compliant management of PMER plan and
- Represent the regional in internal and external forums were PMER is the Promote a culture of performance and continuous learning within team.
- Be accountable to the team manager by providing progress reports on results against objectives and risk
- Be a pro-active team member displaying a customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation, high performance and cost.
- University degree, or equivalent, in relevant discipline (International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, etc.)
- Relevant post-graduate degree or MBA (or equivalent)
- Relevant professional training or relevant experience in monitoring, performance-based management, planning or evaluation.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in the international sector, focused on humanitarian needs (education, health, disaster preparedness and response, etc.)
- Minimum of 3 years work experience dedicated to monitoring, performance- based management, planning or evaluation
- Experience working in the developing countries
- Experience working in the Africa Region
- People Management experience
- Work experience with an international organisation, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies
- Experience of coordinating business planning and reporting processes across a complex organisation
- Substantial experience of developing, communicating and implementing business plans
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Ability to lead and manage in a diverse cultural context
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical and strategic thinking
- Business administration skills
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Excellent relationship building skills; ability to build and strengthen internal and external networks
- Budget and finance management
- Expertise in performance-based management systems, strategies and tools to monitor business systems and project work plans
- Expertise in methods for evaluation, surveying and strategic planning processes.
- Conducting and/or supervising needs assessments and surveys, data analysis
Competencies and values
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Judgement and Decision Making
- National Society and Customer Relations
- Creativity and Innovation
- Building Trust
- Managing Staff Performance
- Managing Staff Development