Job no: 516337
Position type: Temporary Appointment
Department/Office: Mumbai, India
Categories: Social and Economic Policy, NO-3
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential - to the benefit of a better world.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF: https://youtu.be/E1xkXZs0cAQ
For every child, AN ADVOCATE
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children's rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children in the world's thereby ensuring a better future for every child, this is the chance to make a difference. Under the general guidance of the Chief of Field Office, the Urban Specialist is accountable for planning, implementing and monitoring UNICEF Programme in Urban Areas in Maharashtra ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness of the urban programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives for women and children. Also advocates with appropriate authorities to leverage resources and ensure the realization of the rights of children and their families.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- The Urban Social Policy Specialist will be accountable for planning, implementing and monitoring the programmes in urban areas as well as ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness of the urban programme management. Reporting to the Chief of Field Office for Maharashtra, the candidate will support the office in policy development, evidence-based equity-focused advocacy for the betterment of women and children in urban areas and adoption of local policies and programmes to ensure coverage of marginalized populations, technical support to the relevant government departments for delivery of public services, social protection programme and strengthening governance in urban areas to women and children as well as coordination of UNICEF programmatic interventions in urban settings.
- The Urban Social Policy specialist will represent UNICEF in meetings with Government officials as well as non-governmental organizations and maintain an effective working relationship with them. In addition, the incumbent will provide technical assistance to policy analysis and dialogue, design, implement and monitor innovative strategies and to promote knowledge management effectively through developing key programme documents in support of management of urban policy and programme work. The ideal candidate will effectively communicate and advocate for the promotion of UNICEF's global goals from a key position of coordination with UNICEF staff in the state office
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
Advanced university degree in Public Policy, Economics, Social Sciences or Governance, training in development planning programme or project management or monitoring and evaluation desirable or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
- Five years progressively responsible professional work experience in urban policy and governance, urban social protection, urban programme management (design, planning, management and monitoring). Experience in urban governance system and convergence issues. Solid experience in strategy development, programme monitoring, report and proposal writing. Experience of working with urban governance structures would be preferable.
- Experience of working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset. Advanced knowledge of urbanization, urban poverty, and Local Governance System. Updated knowledge on urban sector's policies and strategies, and related fields. Gender, economic, geographical and ethnic diversity awareness
- Fluency in English and very good working knowledge of Marathi will be added advantage
For every Child, you demonstrate…
i) Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [for the job]
- Knowledge of urban systems for social sector
- Knowledge of urban local governance
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required [for the job group]
- Knowledge of UNICEF policies and procedures
- Knowledge of UNICEF programming skills
c) General knowledge of
- Social sector developments relating to children and women
- Government policies for social sector
d) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced [for the Job]
- UNICEF strategic plan 2018-21
- ECD and adolescent beams in ICO CPD
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all national, religious, gender and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF has recently become the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification - the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace. UNICEF's commitment to EDGE reaffirms our pledge to gender equality and inclusion all UNICEF staff worldwide.
This certification recognizes UNICEF's commitment to achieving significant milestones in gender equality for all its staff, including strong gender balance at all levels of the organization, pay equity, a solid framework of policies and practices, and an inclusive workplace culture.
'UNICEF's most important asset is our staff — all of our staff. Gender diversity and equal opportunities for men and women is not only a matter of rights. It makes us more effective as an organization.' Henrietta H. Fore, UNICEF Executive Director.
For more information on UNICEF EDGE Certification, kindly view the video here.
- This position is based in Mumbai (India).
- The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. Selected applicant will have a 364 days Temporary Appointment contract.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
For more information about UNICEF India, please refer to the link below: - http://unicef.in
Advertised: Sep 14 2018 India Standard Time
Application close: Sep 30 2018 India Standard Time
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.