PROJECT ASSISTANT, national CONSULTANT
September 2018 –September 2019 (12 months)
The Housing Unit develops strategies, policies, and programmes to provide access to adequate housing for all, improve the living conditions in existing slums, and curb the growth of new slums. It focuses on improving the supply and affordability of serviced land and new housing opportunities. These efforts contribute to the progressive realization of adequate housing for all and the improvement of housing and the quality of living conditions for the poor and vulnerable.
The National Consultant will work under the direct supervision of Leader of the Housing Unit, with the PMO and Housing Unit staff in collaboration with the Branch Administrative Assistant to assist in the development of the Housing Unit activities in liaison with UNON and other service providers.
1. Programme Support
a. Administrative Support for Meetings and Conferences;
· Provide administrative assistance during meetings, conferences, seminars falling under the Housing Unit Portfolios by preparing travel for participants and staff, booking conference rooms, preparing background information files, bookings hotels and arranging for transport, and providing logistical support during the meetings.
· Make travel arrangements for participants, obtain index numbers and prepare travel requests done in UMOJA, make visa arrangements.
b. Human resources management;
· Initiate, review, process and follow-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, relocation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
· Oversee the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Reviews and processes personnel actions through IMIS.
c. Budget and finance;
· Assist in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
· Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary.
· Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
· Prepare or customize financial reports from system generated reports.
· Co-ordinate with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
d. Monitor staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
e. Provide assistance in financial related activities such as accounting, scrutinizing budgets and budget revision for accuracy.
f. Act as Focal Point in the filing and organizing of the Unit’s digital drives (e.g. shared drive) and physical documents (e.g. publications).
g. Provide assistance in ensuring proper utilization of financial resources in line with contractual agreements/Cooperation Agreements/Grants and Donor Agreements.
h. Manage equipment and inventory for the unit.
i. Providing assistance in the administration and execution of varied operational activities.
j. Assist in creating and maintaining a Housing Unit delivery and milestone calendar.
2. Programme and Project Development
a. Support regular reviews of concept notes and project documents in support of Housing programme and project development, including but not limited to support for Program Advisory Group meetings for housing and human rights.
b. Compile Agreement of Cooperation, Memorandum of Understanding between Housing Unit and external stakeholders/Partners, In-House Agreements between Housing Unit and other Offices and ensure inclusion of projects documents and Contribution Agreements in the UN-Habitat’s Projects Accrual and Accountability System (PAAS).
c. Compile inputs and prepare the reporting on programme delivery for the Unit for strategic planning for each year’s activities into the electronic system – Programme Performance Reporting. (IMDIS).
Support and organize events and consultations and prepare relevant background papers.
d. Provide information for resource mobilization purposes.
e. Perform any other tasks as assigned by the Leader, Housing Unit.
OUTPUTS AND ACTIVITIES
a. Programme Management and Development of Housing, Human Rights and Urban Development projects
b. Periodic comprehensive update of the Unit’s resources mobilization status, possible collaborations that support the thematic of housing, housing rights and human rights mainstreaming
c. Comprehensive support to the Housing Unit, on programme management and administrative support related to the thematic of housing, housing rights and human rights mainstreaming, in particular, the successful delivery of housing programs of work and contribution to generation of information and evidence to support mainstreaming in development processes and strengthened capacity of national institutions to mainstream.
d. Monitoring and communication of results and achievements from Housing Unit work through project advisory services, including Project Advisory Group Consideration
e. Development of advocacy and communications materials and use of various media for sharing knowledge, and communicating innovative and good practices particularly from countries and cities which are actively promoting adequate housing for all in their programs.
Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Excellent knowledge of Excel and Word. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Academic degree, preferably in any of the following fields: Project Management, International Relations, International Development, Programme Support and Political Science. A combination of the above will be an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the consultancies advertised, excellent proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
Payments will be based on deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant.
The fees will be paid as per agreement.
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
1. Educational Background (incl. dates)
2. Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
3. Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
4. Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
5. Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted in electronic format (using MS Word) by email to Helen.Musoke@un.org
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline for applications: 24 August 2018