Reference Number: 190036
Position Level: IS 6
Department: Pacific Department
Division: Urban Development, Water Supply and Sanitation Division, PARD
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Closing Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.033, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development, Water Supply and Sanitation (PAUW) within the Pacific Department (PARD) which covers operations in Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. Covers operations in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.Covers operations in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.Covers operations in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. PAUW is in charge of processing and implementation of projects in the urban development and water supply and sanitation sectors.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Urban Development Specialist will oversee, formulate and articulate sector policy and strategies for the urban development and water supply and sanitation sectors; engage Pacific developing member country (PDMC) governments in policy dialogue; and interact closely with development partners. Lead the identification, preparation, processing and implementation of complex projects, technical assistance, and non-lending products and services. Lead the development of sector road maps and plans for policy reforms. As team leader, assure the quality of project development, implementation, administration and overall results. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods. The incumbent will report to Director, PAUW and will supervise administrative and national staff.
- Lead the development policy and strategies and sectoral road maps for the urban development and water and sanitation sectors in Pacific DMCs, in consultation with relevant government agencies and Resident Missions (RMs) in the region.
- Oversee the review of sector policies, legal and regulatory frameworks and assess progress towards achieving sustainable economic development and poverty reduction in DMCs.
- Oversee policy dialogue to assist governments to undertake reform in the urban development and water supply and sanitation sectors, ensure efficient use of resources and encourage participation of the private sector.
- Oversee, guide and support other project specialists in their work with governments to identify investment opportunities.
- Lead the development of regional strategies and programs as well as initiating regional projects in urban development and related sectors, in consultation with national and regional organizations and international financial agencies, including the intra-regional exchange of experiences, best practices and lessons.
- Ensure coordination between Headquarters and RMs for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of the various sector policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Oversee and ensure quality and compliance of lending and non-lending products and operations in the related sectors.
- Provide guidance, advice and comment on sector issues in the initiation and development of projects and technical assistance.
- Oversee and supervise projects and technical assistance.
- Facilitate effective liaison and coordination with development agencies.
- Ensure key technical, economic, financial, gender, and othercross-cutting issues are incorporated into projects and technical assistance.
- Contribute knowledge and expertise to other divisions and departments concerning the urban development and water supply and sanitation sectors.
- Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Supervise the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals in project design, preparation and implementation operations.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in business administration, public policy, economics, or related field.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience in the private sector or public sector relating to urban development and water supply and sanitation sector, and in project administration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- International experience working in several countries
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.