Job no: 514236
Position type: Consultancy
Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn'l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Categories: Social and Economic Policy
UNICEF works in some of the world's toughest places, to reach the world's most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Equal Opportunity
- To provide Technical Assistance to Gender and Social Development Taskforce of the Urban Productive Safety Net Project (UPSNP) - Development of tailored Child Care Center Guidelines.
How can you make a difference?
- Desk Literature Review of existing Child Care (Center) provisions/aspects in urban areas of Ethiopia, as well as related to similar contexts in a global perspective;
- Review and Rapid Assessment of existing best practices in providing adequate Child Care to the most vulnerable children in Ethiopia, with focus on UPSNP clients (this should also include work done by NGOs in urban contexts of Ethiopia) and a thorough assessment is needed for some selected cities which may have unique experiences and may need a unique approach;
- To consult and work closely with UPSNP stakeholders (UJCFSA, MoLSA, MoWCA, MoH and other stakeholders) at federal, regional and city levels to gather first-hand information on Child Care (Demand and Supply-Side oriented), including UPSNP clients at different levels;
- To closely involve and consult the UPSNP GSD Taskforce to ensure high level of relevance and ownership of the materials at national level;
- To prepare draft UPSNP Child Care Center Guideline and present them to the Federal (GSD Task Force) and City-level stakeholders for common endorsement;
- To adapt the developed UPSNP Child Care Center Guideline based on the inputs provided by Federal and City-level PSNP stakeholders;
- To present the final draft of adjusted Child Care Guideline relevant (city, regional and federal) stakeholders in the context of a national validation workshop;
- To finalize and submit the final UPSNP Child Care Center Guideline for Implementation to UNICEF and the UPSNP GSD Task Force, incorporating comments from city, Regional Bureaus and Federal stakeholders as obtained during the national validation;
- To develop a simple ready-to-use/easy to deliver model that is tailored to the UPSNP and which will facilitate and enforce the implementation of the guideline;
- To develop road map for roll-out of CCC guideline and development of overall GSD manual/training materials.
Expected Deliverables & Timelines
Inception Report: Comprehensive Literature Desk Review and Rapid Assessment Report (inclusive of proposed questionnaires for stakeholder consultations and outline for CCC guidelines)
Extensive stakeholder consultations at different levels // Data Collection
Draft UPSNP CCC Guideline
National Validation Workshop
Final UPSNP CCC Guideline
Ready-to-use/easy to deliver model for UPSNP CCC Guideline
Roadmap for CCC Guideline Implementation and GSD Manual Development
One PPT presentation and Policy Brief (4 pages) on the Guidelines and Road Map produced
Final endorsement through GSD taskforce
- With limited travel to Urban Productive Safety Net Projects (UPSNP)
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in in Social Sciences, Education, Public Health, Gender/ ECD Studies, Development Studies or related field.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in Child Care and/or ECD and GSD related topics, experience in urban areas and within the UPSNP and PSNP or similar national cash transfer programmes in sub-Saharan Africa would be an asset; Practical experience on different methods of Early Childhood Development amongst destitute urban communities.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant Social Protection policies in Ethiopia and related Child Care and GSD provisions;
- Solid technical background and experience in developing practical oriented/user friendly gender and ECD-related training tools and guidelines in the context of social cash transfer programmes; relevant experience in Ethiopia would be an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and time management skills;
- Proven ability to be flexible and hard-working, both independently and in a team environment, in a high pressure on-call environment with changing priorities;
- Fluency in English ( verbal & written) as well as very good knowledge of Amharic is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Jul 03 2018 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: Jul 24 2018 E. Africa Standard Time
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.