Job no: 516100
Position type: Consultancy
School/Unit: Saudi Arabia
Department/Office: Abu Dhabi, Gulf Area
Categories: Social and Economic Policy
UNICEF works in some of the world's toughest places, to reach the world's most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Equality
UNICEF Gulf Area Office (UNICEF GAO) supports the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and its line ministries and authorities to advance the rights of children under the framework of a Gulf Area Programme (2014-2018).
The CFC initiative, a movement gathering together a wide range of partners, advocates for governance approaches and participatory urban management promoting the realization of the rights of the youngest citizens. UNICEF country offices are promoting the CFC approach in a variety of ways in accordance with core challenges faced by children in their national context as framed by the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
On the 2nd of May 2018, the Emirate of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, was recognized as a Child Friendly City by the UNICEF Child Friendly Cities Initiative (CFCI). UNICEF GAO aims to ensure the implementation of the Sharjah CFC action developed for the upcoming 3 years to meet the standards outlined in organizational guidance. The 3-year action plan is endorsed by the government of Sharjah which expressed the commitment to attaining the five overall goals and results outlined in the action plan.
Simultaneously, the Supreme Council for Motherhood and Childhood (SCMC), UNICEF GAO as lead counterpart in the UAE, announced its intention to make all services Â friendly and responsive to mothers and children based on WHO and UNICEF guidelines. UNICEF GAO is supporting the SCMC to develop a comprehensive action plan to meet this ambition.
UNICEF GAO is therefore looking for an experienced coordinator for these two initiatives.
How can you make a difference?
The consultant will be responsible for implementing the below tasks
Child Friendly Cities Initiative
- Coordinate the development of the Sharjah Child Friendly City action plan 2018-2021 and relevant indicators;
- Assist relevant stakeholders in Sharjah in incorporating the Sharjah Child Friendly City action plan 2018-2021 into their authorities/institutions action plans;
- Assist Sharjah government in implementing the Child Rights Commissioner by providing international expertise and assistance in adapting to UAE context;
- Assist Urban Planning-related authorities in Sharjah in incorporating UNICEFs Urban Planning toolkit into their plans and strategies;
- Coordinate meetings and discussions with relevant stakeholders to track implementation of the action plan.
UAE action plan to be a mother and child friendlyÂ
- Coordinate field visits, roundtables, interviews for experts;
- Coordinate the consulataions with children groups
- Coordinate information collection from revelvant stakeholders;
- Coordinate the communication between experts and stakeholders;
- Assist in review draft action plan;
The consultant will be expected to deliver the below:
Child Friendly Cities Initiative
- Monthly progress reports on a the development of the Sharjah Child Friendly City action plan and relevant indicators;
- Monthly progress reports on incorporating Sharjah Child Friendly City action plan into relevant stakeholders action plans;
- Monthly progress reports on implementing Child Rights Commissioner in Sharjah;
- Monthly progress reports on incorporating UNICEF Urban Planning toolkit in Sharjah's urban planning plans and strategies.
UAE action plan to be mother and child friendly
- Monthly progress reports on the field visits, roundtables;
- Monthly progress reports Â on the consultation with children;
- Monthly progress reports of action plan development process
Upon delivery of deliverables requirements.
To Qualify as a suitable candidate you should:
- Education: Postgraduate degree in a social science or related fields
- Experience: Over 5 years experience a specifically in child rights programmes/initiatives
- Previous work with the government sector as well as UN agencies (preferably with exposure to the Arab/Gulf region);
- Previous experience of Child Friendly City Initiative preferred;
- Skills: Excellent communication, research, analytical and writing skills;
- Language: Fluent in both English and Arabic (written and spoken);
- Candidate must have valid residence permission in UAE.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Sep 06 2018 Arabian Standard Time
Application close: Sep 20 2018 Arabian Standard Time
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.