Size of grant: USD 350,000
Purpose of CFP:
Identify and contract an Implementing Partner for carrying out activities for supporting the execution of the Implementation Phase of the programme “Improving the living conditions of Roça Sundy Community, Príncipe Island, through sustainable resettlement.” The selected Implementing Partner will support the execution of the Implementation Phase by working with and training the community, as well as organising for local supplies, for the construction works of the project.
Submission Start Date: 11 June 2018
Submission Deadline Date and time: 23 June 2018
Project Key Information
- UN-Habitat Project title :
“SUPPORTING THE IMPLEMENTATION PHASE OF THE SUSTAINABLE RESETTLEMENT OF THE ROÇA SUNDY COMMUNITY, PRÍNCIPE ISLAND”
- Town/City: São Tomé Island, Príncipe Island
- Country: São Tomé and Príncipe
- Anticipated start date: 19 June 2018
- Estimated duration of project in calendar months: 12 months
- Maximum proposed value in US$:
USD 350,000 (including activities –contracts, purchases and trainings–, personnel and related operational costs)
- Lead Organization Unit: Regional Office for Africa
- UN-Habitat, United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Brief Background of the Project
UN-Habitat is the United Nations Programme for housing and sustainable urbanisation, and the focal point for local authorities in the UN system. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat is present in São Tomé and Príncipe since 2016, and the programme “Improving the living conditions of Roça Sundy Community, Príncipe Island, through sustainable resettlement” is its first major initiative in the country, expected to have a great impact not only among the people who will directly benefit from it, but also as an example of what can be effectively achieved for the sustainable development of São Tomé and Príncipe.
The programme and its related project here advertised, aim at improving the living conditions of the target community of Roça Sundy by its voluntary resettling, with full respect to human rights and a participatory approach, applying special care to minimising the environmental and ecological impact during the whole action, and focusing on enhancing the sustainable livelihood of community members.
The programme has already finalised its Mobilisation and Participatory Design Phases, and an agreed urban plan for the resettlement site and four housing typologies have been approved by the programme’s partners, including the community of Roça Sundy, the Regional Government of Príncipe Island and the donor, HBD Tourism Investments.
The selected Implementation Partner will support the execution of the Implementation Phase of the programme –a phase that considers the actual construction of the estimated 136 houses and their related services, by helping the community and other local people to participate in the construction works through Community Contracts and trainings, while organising for the purchase of local materials and supplies.
Main activities and outputs for the Expression of Interest
UN-Habitat invites Expressions of Interest (EoI) from National and International Non-Governmental Organisations, with a constant presence in São Tomé and Príncipe and the required capacities to take on the assignment, to be established through an Agreement of Cooperation (AoC).
The Implementing Partner will be undertaking main activities as follows (but not limited to):
- Implement community contracting and other contracts at regional and national level for the execution of different tasks inherent to the project (e.g. construction works, administrative support and other), privileging always the mobilisation of the Roça Sundy’s community members and especially focusing on women and youth;
- Support the community mobilisation and the organisation of training in improved construction techniques, manufacturing of greener building materials, sustainable livelihood initiatives and other capacity development activities related to the implementation of the Project;
- Procurement of local goods, equipment and services necessary to carry out the Implementation Phase of the project, considering all the logistics and administrative set up required to make materials and services available at the resettlement site, at the lowest cost and on timely manner.
Expected outputs include the needed community contracts and trainings to carry out the construction works considered in the Implementation Phase of the programme, plus the good delivery of the local materials and services expected for the timely execution of the resettlement works.
The EoI should be presented in English, and it should contain, but not be limited, to the following:
- General institutional and technical information of the applicant;
- Overall experience of the organisation in community work and sustainable development. Experience in construction initiatives is greatly preferred and highly desirable;
- Past experience of the applicant to implement similar projects while building institutional capacity and engaging stakeholders;
- Resumes of the proposed key personnel that will be assigned to work on the programme;
- A brief conceptual proposal of the methodology or approach to achieve the required outputs of the assignment, elements of work plan and timeline, and a preliminary budget, as well as an analysis of challenges, obstacles and possible solutions. Also indicate how you plan to build local capacity and engage local stakeholders;
- Any support/contribution, if possible, of the submitting organisation for the project in both cash and in-kind (contribution in terms of staff time, office space and equipment and other support in cash and in-kind should be expressed in monetary terms);
- The ability to work in Portuguese and English.
Note: the following supporting documents are essential for clearing and approving an AoC. It is not necessary to provide the following documents at this stage, but please confirm that you can provide them in a timely manner (within 10 business days following request).
- Certified true copy of original Certificate of Registration/Incorporation or Charter in cases of educational institutions;
- Certified true copy of original Audited Account Statement for the last two years;
- Annual reports of the last two years;
- Certified true copy of proof of non-Profit;
- Copy of the Constitution or by-laws.
The proposed budget should not exceed the maximum proposed value, including estimates for project activities (contracts, purchases and trainings; at least 85% of the total budget), required personnel and related operational costs. The proposed budget will form the basis for the negotiation of the final budget which will form part of the Agreement of Cooperation. The budget should be in US dollars.
Contact Information and Application Deadline
Expression of Interest must be delivered in electronic format no later than 23 June 2018 to the e-mail addresses given below:
Please note that this EoI notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest/or solicitation process.
Submitting a reply to an EoI does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered for receipt of the solicitation when issued and only Cooperation Partners who are deemed qualified by UN-Habitat upon completion of evaluation of submission, will receive the final solicitation document.
- Interested Organizations must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochure, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc).
- The CFP/EoI and accompanying documents must be received in accordance with instructions provided. CFP/EoI submitted to a different email address other than the specified one will not be considered.
- CFP/EoI from applicants failing to provide the complete information to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria will be considered non-responsive.
- CFP/EoI received after the above deadline will not be considered
- Organizations will be selected in accordance with the procedure set out in the UN-Habitat IP Management policy and Standard Operating Procedures.
- CFP/EoI from applicants failing to provide the requested information will be disregarded.
- This CFP/EoI does not entail any commitment on the part of UN-Habitat, either financial or otherwise. UN-Habitat reserves the right to accept or reject any or all Proposals without incurring any obligation to inform the affected applicant(s) of the grounds.
- All prices must be in USD.
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.